As a private hire driver your vehicle is your business, and that means you need to give it the protection it needs for this kind of commercial venture. Insurance should be at the top of the agenda, but there’s more to private hire car insurance than meets the eye—you need to consider far more than you would for a regular car insurance policy, so just what do you need to look for?
- Decent base level of cover. As a general rule you’ll be able to choose between third party, third party fire and theft and fully comp, but ideally you’ll want to get the most comprehensive level of cover you can afford.
- All the necessary added extras. Optional extras might put your premiums up slightly, but things like breakdown assistance, legal and medical expenses cover and public liability should all be central parts of any private hire insurance policy (some might be included as standard depending on your insurer—make sure to check).
- Cover for personal as well as business use. You could well be using your vehicle for personal use when you’re not working, so make sure that your policy has you fully covered whether you’re on a job or not.
- Great price. It goes without saying really, but any policy needs to be great value for money to ensure you’ve got a bit of extra cash left in your pocket each month.
- Good claims procedures. It pays to double check the claims process of your potential insurance firm before you make your final decision—ideally you’ll want 24 hour claims lines at UK based call centres with a quick and simple claims process, because you wouldn’t want to be let down when it matters most.
These are just a few things you need to look for in any private hire car insurance quote, and as long as you’re prepared for anything that could come your way you can’t go wrong. Always get a policy that’s been built around you and your unique circumstances to ensure total protection, and if you do you can get on with your job with the peace of mind you need.