Black cabs are quintessentially British. They’re seen on roads up and down the country, either being flagged down or waiting in taxi ranks to get people to their destination without the hassle of booking. It can be a lively, rewarding and exciting job, and if you want to become a fully-fledged taxi driver here are a few pointers to get you on your way:
- Get your licence sorted. You’ll of course need to make sure you’ve got a full driving licence before you can start work, but this is no ordinary vehicle—a lot of local authorities will require you to take an additional driving test in a black cab before you can be a fully licenced taxi driver, ensuring you can operate it safely and effectively.
- Make sure you’ve got a good driving history with no criminal record. CRB checks will often be carried out and your driving history will be looked into as well, so if you want to be a taxi driver you’ll need to be as clean as possible.
- Get fit. It may not seem like a particularly physically demanding job, but you’ll still need to be fit and healthy if you’re going to make the grade. Having good eyesight is of course a must so make sure you take an eye test first, and if you’ve got any doubts about your health it’s worth checking with your GP.
- Know the local area. Being a black cab means you could be asked to go anywhere, so having a thorough knowledge of the local area is absolutely vital. And, if you’re planning on driving in London you’ll need to complete (and pass) the Knowledge before you’ll even be given a licence, so make sure to do your homework.
- Get black cab insurance. Once your application has been approved and have got your badge, you’ll need to get black cab insurance sorted before you can start work. In fact, you might even have to show proof of insurance before you’ll even be given a licence, so getting appropriate cover should be at the top of the agenda.
These are just a few things you’ll need to go through in order to become a fully-fledged black cab driver, so what are you waiting for? Get going and you’ll be out on the road in no time!